Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Assassin Always Rings Twice: An Analysis of Shadow's Son by Jon Sprunk (with an apology)

On this side of my college graduation for my bachelor’s, I have had something of a realization. I was (and continue to be, despite having earned my degree) an insufferable English major. I spent six years scrambling to figure out what I was going to do with my degree, but I knew that I loved and breathed books and literary analysis. I read every assignment and found everything but the most advanced lit classes unchallenging, and I relished every moment of it. Even when there were professors or coursework I disagreed with, I still enjoyed the process of learning and contributing to every discussion. Now that I’m embarking on a Master’s, I have a greater understanding of one of my flaws: I grew arrogant as a student. I was cocky about my understanding of critical theory, the fact that very few of my classmates took our lit classes seriously but I did, and in a lot of ways, I became intellectually lazy. I knew where I could cut corners on certain assignments, where I didn’t have to structure my arguments or understand my implications because minimum effort would earn me a top grade anyways.*

I bring up this up because I felt underwhelmed by my last blog entry,  that I was copping out on true analysis by rehashing the plot. Instead of saying something meaningful, I gave a childish criticism of a book and basically published a half-baked entry. Over the last couple of days, I’ve thought about rewriting my analysis, but have decided that if I do, it will be as a brand new entry. I just want to acknowledge that I understand my own weaknesses as a critic, especially in my parsing of grimdark versus epic fantasy.

In one of my next blog entries, I want to give a broader and more thoughtful analysis of fantasy that’s being published today, and discuss certain trends within the genre. I’d like to acknowledge now that one of my biggest frustrations is how genre labels come across as extremely reductive when you consider works within the labels (we’re not even going to touch on the “canon”). I’ve run into few if any “straight” fantasies where there wasn’t some crossing with another genre (mystery, romance, thriller), and the labels commonly used today fail to consider that kind of diversity. I think I was mistakenly using labels in my last entry to differentiate between fantasy I liked versus what I didn’t like—a mistake I made quite often during my undergraduate years, that’s so canny I don’t even realize I’m doing it sometimes. Although I will discuss this in more detail later, I’d like to finish this point with a leaf out of Derrida’s book: that binary oppositions are conventional (created) to highlight artificial differences, particularly in linguistics, to construct significance. That significance is outside of convention, and I think that, as an English major, that’s something I need to appreciate within my love of fantasy.

On to a happier topic—Shadow’s Son by Jon Sprunk was my reading this week, almost a precursor to our thieves/assassins trend from its publication in 2010. I didn’t hear much about it then, and I think I understand why. Sprunk’s writing style feels unfinished in this novel, and it was difficult to track the protagonist Caim’s growth as a character. It was a book I found myself unwillingly enjoying, because the outbreaks of hokey narrative (mainly through the frequent appearance of clichés) lightened the darkness of Caim without seeming overly silly.

There were lots of fun ideas in Shadow’s Son that if they had been pushed a little further, would have made the book fantastic. Caim has a spirit companion in the form of an attractive woman called Kit, and there’s some hints in the narrative that the love Caim and Kit have might be romantic. Kit is an important character through her significance to Caim and her ability to gain knowledge on people and places where Caim can’t be. The first scene of SS bursts with action and mostly unforced wit by demonstrating Kit’s capabilities, which make up for how she’s incapable of anything else (including but not limited to touching Caim, lifting objects, giving worth advice throughout the entire book). The relationship between Caim and Kit deflates with the introduction of Caim’s genuine love interest, and Kit gets reduced into a literal shade, two dimensions when there had been close to three.

GoodReads reviewers promise that Sprunk’s other novels are much better than SS, but I don’t think I’ll be following up. Beyond Kit’s letdown, the aspect that diminished my enjoyment of SS was Caim’s lack of trajectory. It would take a very fine eye to see any change in Caim as a character from who he was in the beginning through the end, even though Sprunk tried to use the “love changes all” idea with Caim’s relationship to his love interest. Caim in the beginning kills for money, but he takes jobs on people that a modern reader would consider horrible: despots, abusers of power, etc. He sees himself as cold, ruthless, and without remorse: that’s all mostly true. The change that’s meant to be wrought in Caim is that during the narrative, he sacrifices his own well-being for his love interest, but in my reading, he had sacrificed his own well-being before the novel began with his political ideologies. Caim lives in a plain, empty shack, and it was a good symbol for how sparse his character was. I was invested in his backstory for what it was worth, and appreciated how Sprunk highlighted how Caim’s trauma led to his emotional struggles during the narrative.

Caim in the end is largely unchanged from his image in the beginning. He sets up another character on their path to greatness and then disappears into the shadows. I almost wish this story had been told entirely from Josey’s perspective, because in a lot of ways, Caim’s story was actually a frame for hers. Unlike in the great frame narrative of our time, The Great Gatsby, I think this was accidental. Caim does get to claim some personal accomplishments that actually, well…serve everyone else, but he did achieve wiping his out competition, dethroning an oligarchy, and avenge the crime of his childhood. And yet Caim remains unchanged. His stony face was a little too literal—it alienated me as a reader and I struggled to understand what was going on behind his emotionless exterior.

I found Shadow’s Son to be a rather fun narrative, however, the light-beach-read equivalent of fantasy. It was short, so I zoomed through it in a couple of days, and I definitely liked some of the other supporting characters besides Kit. However, more than the fact that I didn’t like it, SS is just not very memorable in the thieves/assassins line of fantasy. Lately I have taken to pretending that the stories I’m reading are roleplaying narratives where I get to be a player, which has helped me be more forgiving of lackluster writing. Hopefully in the later books, Caim became a character I want to play instead of an NPC within his own story.

I just started Ed Greenwood’s The Wizard’s Mask, which seems to be his first novel for Pathfinder Tales. The reviews on GoodReads have eviscerated it, but I’m over 50 pages in and still enjoying the never-ending chase Greenwood is putting his characters through. The characters have a lot of personality and sass, and although they have done some truly outlandish things so far, at least I know I’m back within the realm of fun hack-and-slash rpg fiction. I’m going to a couple of panels at Gen Con this year that Greenwood is serving on, so I can’t wait to hear the thoughts of the creator of Elminster in a month’s time.



*There were factors in my personal life contributing to this, like working a stressful job and a complicated family situation, but I definitely made the choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment